Carnota is a coastal municipality located in the southwest area of A Coruña (Galicia, Spain), belonging to the district of Muros. Its name could come from the preceltic voice carn (stone).
There are tumuli and forts that indicate that the area was settled since ancient times. In the Middle Ages it belonged to the Counts of Trastamara and Lemos and was part of the former county of Cornatum. With the Great Irmandiña War of 1467 the fortresses disappeared. The place of the capital, Carnota, was born in the seventeenth century. In the nineteenth century was sacked by French troops in the War of Spanish Independence.
Monuments and places of interest: